Just Checkin' In
I've started messing (and that word is quite appropriately descriptive) around with the gluable bracelet forms - here's one work in progress so far. White metal bracelet form with gluable discs and hammered links to which I have, so far, added 5, 14mm long by 10mm wide hemimorphite beads. there are 7 links in the bracelet, but the final link on one end is the clasp link and the other end is the loop link through which the clasp locks so I couldn't add the beads to them.
and here's how I did it
- glueable bracelet form (Stock#: 40-337-1. 7.2" disk-and-loop bracelet forms for gluing. Hammered oval loops. Length may vary +/- ¼".)
- soft silver tone metal wire (used what I had for experimenting, an inexpensive 20 gauge from Michael's, no metal info on the spool, which I bought to practice wrapping and making loops),
- flush cutter,
- chain nose pliers,
- oval beads small enough to give some 'clearance' inside the link and the 14x10mm beads fit fine.
Snipped about 3" of wire and shaped a "t-pin" shape using the chain nose pliers (and flush cutter when I had excess to snip)
bend back over itself about 1/4 inch from the center (long end of wire)
turn over, bend the other side the same way - there's a bit of overlap, trim with flush cutter
flatten the folds as much as possible
Now, for the assembly stuff
- Open the connector bit on one of the gluable disk links
- Remove the oval hammered link and thread wire through the vertical opening in the opened connector bit (I bet there's a technical term for that)
- Put the oval link back in, making sure the bead and the wire are on "top" of the link, otherwise you have to thread the wire back through the link, and the less bending the better because (as I'm sure everyone knows but I tested the concept strenuously, and often, to the failure point...) soft wire gets brittle and breaks the more you work it
- Close the connector bit (there I go with those highly technical terms again) over the wire pin and link - it's a tight fit and will make the bracelet a little less flexible, unfortunately.
- Thread the wire through the open connector bit on the next disk.
Then I closed up the connector bit on the other side.
Finished work - so far.
Labels: bead, beaded badge lanyards, beading, beading blogs, bracelet, crafts, Dawno, designing, experimenting, hemimorphite, jewelry lanyard, Rings and Things Gluable Challenge, Rings and Things Product Review, trying new things, wire wrapping