Sunday, February 8, 2009

Next Saturday is Valentine's Day - So Why No Hearts?

Remember the copper and mother of pearl necklace I posted about a while back? I got some freshwater cultured coin pearls from Rings & Things, along with more copper tubes and made this last night:



It's choker length - just 15". I have gray-blue and gold coin pearls as well, so I'll eventually make one each but I think I'll use silver for the gray and gold with the gold. I'm also going to try not to buy new beading supplies everytime I think of something new, but wait and either do one purchase a month and only make additional purchases in between, if I've sold something.

As I mentioned in the title, next Saturday is Valentine's Day and I haven't made or posted anything especially for the holiday. I decided not to do holiday specific jewelry this year unless someone asks. I have a number of red, white and blue pieces from last year and some Christmas items, but so far no sales, so I don't see the point right now in investing. I believe the trick to selling those items is all about marketing at the right time to the right audience and I'm not there yet. Maybe someday.

What I am focusing on is things that will work with Spring and Summer in mind. Lighter colors for the most part, and vintage style things that will work year round. My daughter bought me some great little watch parts for Christmas, so I want to start doing some things using them as embellishments or maybe little clear beads using resin or MagicGlos with the tiniest parts embedded in them. I just need to practice using those new materials before I commit my precious stash to it, since once it's embedded, it better be done right or it's trash.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave Robertson said...

Hi Dawno, I enjoy the delicate look of curved tubes like the copper you've used here. Green pearls are a nice take on the sort of turquoise-y colors that go together so well with copper. Neat!

--Dave

February 9, 2009 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks, Dave! I think copper goes with just about any color gemstone or bead I typically use. I'm working on something with purple, light green and peach using copper caps and spacers and I think it's a great combo.

February 9, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf