Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday Tidbit - Aventurine Leaf Necklace




Last evening I dropped my Bead Trends March 2010 piece into the FedEx pickup box for overnight delivery. I didn't mean to put it off to the last minute, but I somehow let things slip last week and had to scramble today so it would be there in time. The April 2010 Bead Trends submission deadline and the Stringing challenge are all coming up in just a couple weeks, so I need to plan ahead better for them. To say nothing of having just over a month left to finish preparations for LosCon in LA next month.

Well, rather than dwelling on my little failings and recent foibles, let's move on to something positive! As the seemingly never ending chore of organizing my workspace continues, I occasionally stop cleaning or sorting or organizing and make something with the beads I've uncovered. Case in point, this aventurine necklace.



I pulled out a box full of beads left over from an earlier project and rather than sort through them as I was planning on, I got an idea. I grabbed this carved leaf I bought from Etsy seller Beadaholique, which I had actually managed to put in the right place to find easily (a box labeled "green stone"), and strung it with some carved floral aventurine beads from Baubles and Beads in Berkeley (say that three times fast!). Then, from the box I picked out the nearly white pale, and lovely celadon green, aventurine rounds to string into a necklace.

Normally I use metal caps and spacers in my work. This time I liked the simplicity of using just the stones.

Although I think I'd typically put this aside for Spring, the idea of a falling leaf (which I think the pendant looks like) green or not, makes me think of Autumn. Besides, here in California a lot of the trees stay green all year round, and not just the typical evergreens. I've got a couple Fall outfits I think I'll try this with and see how it looks.

See you tomorrow for some mutterings about another "last minute idea for something to wear to work" jewelry creation.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Davinia said...

It's beautiful Dawn and in my favourite colours too.

October 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thank you! I really like the aventurine green - it's subtle.

October 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf