Thursday, March 4, 2010

Using Up the Stash #7 - Spring Time

Still pretty miserable from my cold and not getting much done, but I did assemble something to share - it's not finished, needs some gluing and perhaps a bit more color before I could say "done", but I wouldn't have a post if I didn't share at least the current status of a work in progress.

I'm very fond of Steampunk style items and the hinged glass pendant from this month's Rings & Things goodies reminded me a bit of a pocket watch case. So I put in a beautifully engraved piece from the inside of a vintage pocket watch, a stamped leaf and ladybug, all of which I purchased from Steampunk Supply at Etsy, and had in the stash waiting for just the right inspiration.

Since I wanted a bit of color to signify Spring, I placed a green opal glass flower bead cap from Rings & Things near the leaf, and added a tiny rhinestone in the center of the bead cap to cover the hole. Of course the piece had to be named Spring Time.



Apologies for the glare from the lamp - took the picture at night,
but click to enlarge and see the really lovely engraving on the pocket watch piece.



Since the back of the pendant is glass as well, there's a floral filigree piece (also from Steampunk Supply) wrapped around back of the large watch piece to provide a nice look for that side of the pendant. It also provides stability for the watch part and keeps it from sliding around inside the pendant.

I'm still thinking about how I'd like to finish that side - I've got some ideas that will take time and gluing, so I couldn't get to it tonight. I'll post again with that side's finished look when it's done.

Oh, and last reminder to enter> Artbeads 10th anniversary sweepstakes closes at 11:59pm Pacific time TODAY.



FTC compliance notice of material connection: The hinged glass case above, was provided to me for free, to be used for design purposes, or for a statement of my honest opinion of them, by Rings & Things.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Very cool! I'd love to see some blue or maybe purple in the piece. I don't know why. Haha.

Love the flower and the engraved pieces. Can't wait to see it finished!

March 4, 2010 at 6:25 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks, Rose, glad you like it!

I like the idea of adding blue or purple, it's mostly going to depend on what I can find in the stash, though.

March 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Dave Robertson said...

Fun concept, Dawno...I couldn't tell, did you glue everything in place, or does it sort of hold of its own accord?

:) Dave
at Rings & Things

March 4, 2010 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thank you Dave.

It's unglued at present, the bug, leaf and watch part would stay where they are but the flower would fall out of place if I tried to wear it as a pendant right now. I won't do the final gluing until I figure out what else I want to do to the front and back.

March 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf