Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday Tidbit - Trying to Keep the Cost Down



A colleague of mine asked me if I might make a lanyard for her using pearls, and showing me her bracelet of pearls with Bali-style silver beads, said, "in this style". She was hoping I could keep it under a certain price as well. The final constraint is the length, as she wanted it to be 32" long. I knew that with the pearls I already had I wouldn't be able to come close enough, especially with silver Bali beads.

I managed to find a great deal on freshwater pearls on sale the other day at JewelrySupply.com, so I bought several 16" strands. I already had some Bali-style beads I bought at the Rings & Things bead show that, if I wasn't too generous with them, would keep it pretty close in price. Here's what I came up with (click to enlarge):





(shown doubled to feature badge clasp)

I also had some large, irregular freshwater cultured pearls that I thought I'd string and see how they looked. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to re-do it and take out the bead caps I've used to set off some groups of three pearls (they're about mid-way up on the first picture and close to the clasp on the second one), I'm not happy with how that looks. But otherwise, I like it. Unfortunately this one prices out to $20 above what my friend wanted to spend. (Update - yet, it's the one she purchased!)



(shown doubled to feature badge clasp)

I really like making necklace lanyards with pearls, I've made several. People think they're beautiful, but the price ends up being too high for everyone who's admired them so far, though.

Here's one I made that's been at every show I've done and was on Etsy for a while. It's had a lot of admirers, but no buyer. It's a long one, 32", with gold filled beads and beautiful malachite and some very nice freshwater cultured pearls. (In case you're curious, I'm asking $85 for it).




That's all for today, thanks for stopping by!




PS - here are the necklaces posted above that are on sale at Artfire:

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Robertson said...

$85 for a lifetime of lanyard sounds all right to me! These are all good work. I wonder if the pearls need to be shown off to a just very slightly higher-end crowd? They're a great bargain compared to lots of jewelry you see in stores.

--Dave
at Rings & Things

November 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

I agree about the demographic - I'm eventually going to see about getting in front women who are in upper management - the ones who do customer visits or sales. I think they'd appreciate having an upscale necklace lanyard.

November 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Just A Tish said...

I am just now learning to appreciate pearls. I have been scared of them for some reason. These are really nice, very elegant.

Your pricing is not out of line. have you been to any local boutiques?

RYN: pairing citrine with kyanite is one of my favs! I have several pieces I made for myself in that combination. it is a win win combination - these two stones are the only two stones that never need cleansing - they repel negative energy. go for it!

November 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Hi Tish! No, no local boutiques yet. Day job thingie and all, just haven't fit that in yet. It's something I have thought about, though.

November 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf