Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mid-Week Mutterings - Day 3 of 3: The Not Quite There Necklace

For those of you who faithfully follow the exciting adventures of Dawno, you may recall over the Labor Day weekend I did some shopping at Michael's. One of the purchases I made was a set of antiqued brass components from Blue Moon's "Royal Boheme" line. There were three metal connectors, each with three loops, which you can see enlarged, in silver, on the Blue Moon site (click here).

I selected one of the connectors from the set, and some chain, to play with, added the hooks which I've had in my stash forever and have no idea where from, connected the charms (leaves and owl from the set of cool filigree and charms I got from Steampunk Supply) and the two stars, then went to bed. I think I'd been in bed about ten seconds before I got the idea to add a moon peeking over the connector, which reminded me of branches - which is why I added the leaves and the owl in the first place. I trotted down stairs past my husband and the cats, to whom I'd just said "goodnight", and who were quite bemused at my rushing back down to my workroom in my jammies and slippers. Well, maybe the cats weren't bemused, but they did give me that cat look that probably means 'all humans are crazy' and I choose to interpret as bemusement.

The next day I stared at it some and took the following picture so I could stare at it some more. You guessed it, Still not quite there.



Decided to move the stars up the chain and add two small Mother of Pearl disks. Decided to paint a 'man in the moon' on the large Mother of Pearl disk...



...using a Sharpie gold paint pen



Here's a close-up of the back showing how I connected the moon with a long eyepin looped at both ends.



However, I'm not yet completely satisfied. I'm mostly unhappy with the placement of the moon disk. Kind of looks like it's in one of those bicycle baskets hooked on the handlebars, peeking over the front of it . Or a beard. Whichever. Will be fiddling with it over the weekend and I'm not sure I'll end up using the moon disk on this one.

So those are the three works in progress for this week. I'm going to have to focus on building up my inventory for my November show at LACon pretty soon and the experimenting will slow down. I've still got a couple pieces in the pipeline to share - one with the new glass 'river rocks' from The Beadin' Path design partner package I recently received, that I'll probably be ready to share in a couple days and the Halloween necklace from my Rings & Things Friday Pick from two weeks ago.

By the way, Artbeads is having a really great newsletter subscriber only sale that ends tomorrow - you really want to be on their mailing list when deals like this come along. Sign up here.

I've got no idea what I'll be talking about tomorrow - I'll be sending off some interview questions to Rebeca Mojica from Blue Buddha Boutique soon and I'll have used the Wubbers tools enough to do a review of them soon, as well, but right now I'm stumped on what to do for tomorrow, other than I'm pretty sure it won't be a review or interview. I'll think of something, though, so I look forward to seeing you here on Thursday!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Davinia said...

Love those connectors Dawno, not only are you a talented jewelry maker but you can draw too. Will you put it in your shop?

September 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

I think it'll go in my shop - just as soon as I think it's right!

September 17, 2009 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Just A Tish said...

i do love this one. i love the eclectiness (is that a word?) of it. is awesome

September 21, 2009 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks! Eclectiness fits it. Still not totally happy with how the moon face is set, but haven't figured out what else to do yet.

September 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf