Thursday, November 5, 2009

Took a Tropical Turn Tonight with the Beadin' Path Design Partner Challenge

The Beadin' Path sent me some vintage Czech and German glass beads to feature in some Design Partner jewelry designs back in October.



I've really struggled with what to do with these - partly because of the colors and partly due to the shapes. Well, I finally figured out what to do with the yellow strand on the far left. I started with just re-stringing the beads this way and that. Then it occurred to me that I could pull out the hyacinth druk beads and some Lucite flowers I had played with this summer to mix in with them.

Necklace #1 uses each of the shapes on the strand, except for the larger oval one (I keep calling them 'pods'), and a orange Lucite flower. The bright orange beads I've added are modern hyacinth Czech druk beads.


(I think this is darling, if I say so myself.)

Necklace #2 uses the pods and some dark orange Lucite flowers with a larger yellow one. I put some yellow seed beads between the flowers and pods since they didn't hang well without them.



There were some problems making the second one. I couldn't find enough of the original yellow seed beads and at the end I had to use a different yellow bead. And of the eight orange flowers, seven were matte and the eighth was shiny - I put that one at the end. The large yellow flower looked brighter, and more like the yellow in the 'pod' beads, in the light I have in my beading room than the light I used to take the picture, too.

I'm quite happy with these, especially since the ideas didn't come easily! Now it's off to figuring out what to do with the others.

Hope to have more designs with the Beadin' Path beads soon.


FTC compliance disclosure, notice of material connections: All items in the previous post, specifically referenced as from The Beadin' Path, were provided as promotional gifts by for review or design partnership purposes.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Davinia said...

I love them both Dawn. So different from your usual jewelry. Those flowers are great (think I need some) and the colour combo is just gorgeous. I find it hard to work with some colours, especially if it's a colour I don't really like or wouldn't wear. But it's good to step out of the 'bead box' and try new things.

November 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa Crone said...

Oh my gosh, these are so wonderful! Beautiful and fun at the same time!

November 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thank you Davinia and Lisa. Yes, these are quite different - it's more of that outside the comfie zone stuff. I have exactly one item of clothing in yellow and orange - a Hawaiian print shirt from Tommy Bahama I got years ago. I'll probably wear the #1 necklace with it.

November 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf