Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rings & Things Hinged Picture Frame - Part 1 Mixed Media Design

Got a late start tonight, worked on my shelves (needed to re-adjust the height) and then watched some shows. My husband and I are fans of several Monday night shows, Chuck, House, Castle, and The Big Bang Theory. We only watched Chuck, House and Big Bang tonight. Thank goodness for TiVo!

My husband is also doing a major clean-up of the garage and bringing in a lot of stuff we bagged to give away. We've been sorting and he's been dropping it off. He's also brought in some really nice suits I'd put out there when I stopped wearing them. I'm going to take a few to the dry-cleaners and start wearing them again. All the better to show off my jewelry!

Anyway, with all that going on, I only completed three steps tonight towards the final design I came up with using the Rings & Things 1.5" square hinged picture frame:


Step one was to stamp the glass on the right (inside) with archival ink
Step two was to sprinkle and heat embossing powder to give some depth and shine
Step three was to apply some alcohol ink to the glass on the left (inside) and then using a Q-tip with Alcohol Blending Solution, wipe until it was a very thin wash

My plan is to add some detail next. Not sure what comes after that - I'm thinking brooch rather than pendant. The thanks for the inspiration on this piece goes to Margot Potter's Beyond The Bead: Making Jewelry With Unexpected Finds.

See you tomorrow with either more steps or something completely different in my Using Up the Stash series.




FTC compliance notice of material connection: The hinged glass frame was provided to me for free, to be used for design purposes, or for a statement of my honest opinion of them, by Rings & Things.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Robertson said...

And that's only the start? Looks marvelous already, Dawno.

--Dave
at Rings & Things

March 9, 2010 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks, Dave! I hope I don't mess it up with too much fiddling!

March 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Just A Tish said...

Oh i love this! i agree with dave - This is only the start?!!? :)

March 9, 2010 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks, Tish - yep, just started. I have some embellishing still to do and then figuring out what I want for the brooch part next.

March 9, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf