Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dawno's Tuesday Tidbits - Post BayCon Wrap Up

I got quite busy today and didn't find time to take a picture of my tiny, cramped display (really, no great loss). I'll take a bunch of good ones at LosCon, and if I get into World Fantasy, there too. Those are "real" dealer's booths, so I hope they'll be very nice. I have 5 months to plan and obsess over them.

I put out an assortment of my quick and easy glass lanyards and a sign:



These lanyards turned out to be a great idea. People stopped, looked and I sold quite a few of them. But I also sold more of my higher priced ones today when people took the time to hear about the purpose and the convertible qualities and decided they wanted something that was more like "real jewelry" to wear when they weren't wearing a badge.

Overall, I did about 70% of what I made last year this time. Today's sales in the 4 hrs I was there actually selling were equal to or better than any one of the three prior 8 or 9 hr days.

So, I learned something important today - when I promote something that will get people talking about my product to me, my chances of selling something are much better. I also had a couple people bring friends by who saw their lanyards and wanted one. I'm thrilled at how many immediately put their convention badges on the lanyard and wore them over the weekend. The ribbon may have helped, too. I'm definitely ordering more!

Speaking of ribbons, here's my collection. I'm missing Archon from 2007 and Potlatch 2006 or '07 (can't remember) but these are the ones I hung from some lanyards to try and show how they look. I ran out of "I Know Dawno!" ribbons, and most of my "Do You Know Dawno?" ribbons are gone, too.

When I speak about ribbons, you can see from the current '09 BayCon badge that people at BayCon are really into them. My collection is tiny compared to some - there were people who could wrap their ribbons into a sash that wound around them like the ones that Scouts put their merit badges on, and still have a length going down from that! (sorry about the reflection - I didn't realize the flash was on).


(click to enlarge and read the ribbon messages)

Last tidbit - made some hair clip/hair charms while I was there. Didn't sell any this weekend. Daughter insists I need to make bookmarks, I agree. Will be working on those in days ahead. Took this picture outside and the sun was pretty low, so the shadows are annoying, but my worktable is a total wreck and I couldn't photograph them inside.



Thanks for visiting and patiently listening to my convention blather. See you tomorrow. (or, if you're on Twitter, see you on and off thru the day!)

Editing to add:

I got a Google Alert that there was a post up out there in the Blogosphere with the exact same title as this one. I went to the site and saw the following, which I think is a weird and keyword laden translation of my post into Quebecois French and then back to English (try doing this sometime using Babelfish - it's hysterical) of today's blog post :

I got unquestionably affected today and didn’t chance frequently to sign off a discernment of my pint-sized, incommodious evidence (really, no sterling loss). I’ll sign off a bouquet of robust ones at LosCon, and if I seep at liberty into World Fantasy, there too. Those are real dealer’s booths, so I rely on they’ll be selfsame amiable. I deceive someone at liberty an corps of my instantaneous and acquiescent specs lanyards and a exceptional:These lanyards turned at liberty to be a sterling intention. I sire 5 months to design and hold closed them. People stopped, looked and I sold unquestionably a faulty of them.

Overall, I did in all directions from 70% of what I made most late year this frequently. But I also sold more of my higher priced ones today when people took the frequently to give someone a bribe attention to in all directions from the determination and the convertible qualities and stooping they wanted something that was more like real jewelry to have on when they weren’t wearing a badge. Today’s sales in the 4 hrs I was there in Aristotelianism entelechy selling were colleague to or best than any unified of the three until 8 or 9 hr days. I also had a join people advance a respectability friends alongside who dictum their lanyards and wanted unified. So, I well-trained something emotion-charged today - when I side with something that on gets people talking in all directions from my produce to me, my chances of selling something are much best.

I’m thrilled at how tons not to be sneezed at neaten up away deceive someone their congress badges on the lanyard and wore them closed the weekend. I’m unquestionably ordering more!Speaking of ribbons, here’s my accumulation. The ribbon may sire helped, too. I’m missing Archon from 2007 and Potlatch 2006 or ‘07 (can’t remember) but these are the ones I hung from some lanyards to adjudicate and brag how they look.

When I admonish in all directions from ribbons, you can be Argus-eyed from the rip current ‘09 BayCon badge that people at BayCon are quite into them. I ran at liberty of I Know Dawno! ribbons, and most of my Do You Know Dawno? ribbons are gone, too. My accumulation is pint-sized compared to some - there were people who could wrap their ribbons into a sash that swaddle in all directions from them like the ones that Scouts deceive someone their respectability badges on, and silence sire a completely flourishing down from that! (sorry in all directions from the proof - I didn’t bring about the frown was on).

Didn’t vend any this weekend. (click to amplify and assume from the ribbon messages)Last tidbit - made some suggestion clip/hair charms while I was there. Daughter insists I paucity to impel bookmarks, I allocate. Took this discernment farthest and the bake was graceful improper, so the shadows are annoying, but my worktable is a unalloyed annihilate and I couldn’t photograph them Achates. Will be working on those in days ahead. Thanks owing visiting and patiently listening to my congress blather.

See you tomorrow.



Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So true!

"So, I learned something important today - when I promote something that will gets people talking about my product to me, my chances of selling something are much better."

May 26, 2009 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Thanks for visiting! (and quoting me so I could see the typo and fix it, too!) :-D

May 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Just A Tish said...

The babblefish put me in the floor!
i love playing with it. it is how i pass the time alot at work.

once, we had a call that came in requesting spanish support, no one spoke spanish, so i typed in babble fish what i wanted to say and then tried to read the spanish translation to them, i got a lot of que? que?

hehehehe so funny

May 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

It really pisses me off when my content is stolen like this, but this time it also made me laugh. There are a couple links in the "original" stolen post on the robbing SOB plagiarist blog so they're trying to use my blog to get traffic. Also, feel free to link that phrase to that site anytime :-D

May 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, cool, Loscon. (Local.)

Also, thanks for introducing me to Fire Mountain, as I just ordered a whole lot of 8/0 beads for knitting projects!

PJ

May 26, 2009 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

You're welcome, PJ, hope to see you there!

May 26, 2009 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa Crone said...

I never tire of reading your blog and enjoy following your adventures! Sometimes makes me miss doing craft shows! It really comes down to the people you meet and the pleasure you get when you find people to talk beads with. That was always my favorite part. I always thought it would be fun to have a table set up for people to stop and make jewelry with me and let someone else do the selling, but never go that far.

May 27, 2009 at 3:19 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Lisa, you are so generous and kind, thank you!

May 27, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn!

I found your blog on a quick perusal of sites talking about Baycon, and I remember you quite clearly, as there was some confusion about ribbons of mine that you had that you didn't recall me giving to you.

Of course, I caught up with my pal later, noticed that she also had one of your ribbons, and realized I'd given a small stash of the particular ribbon we were confused about to her. :)

So no, neither of us was going crazy. :)

-kat

June 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Kat, glad you found me and shed some light on the ribbon thing! Glad they got around, thanks for being my 'leg man' on that! :-D

June 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Bead Artists who Blog
Powered By Ringsurf